West Cork Leisure Activities and things to do while you enjoy your stay at The Heron’s Cove Goleen and the surrounding area.
Hill, beach and byways walking is a pleasure round the Mizen area. Apart from our busy summer season from mid-July to mid-August, solitude and harmony with nature are our greatest blessing. The sound of the birds and the ocean are predominant.
Mizen Peninsula, Ireland’s most southerly peninsula, has small interesting little villages and towns with individual small shops – a far cry from malls and shopping centres – Bantry, Skibbereen, Schull, Goleen, Ballydehob and Durrus. The vibrant West Cork small communities take care of each other.
There are soft sandy beaches, wonderful displays of wildflowers, changing through the seasons, Bronze Age monuments and hill walks. You have to see it for yourself!
Places you can visit while staying at The Heron’s Cove Goleen West Cork:
- Mizen Head Signal Station at Ireland’s most south westerly point, a must-see experience
- Brow Head with its Napoleonic Signal Tower (used by Lloyds, Reuters and Marconi as well
- Crookhaven with its safe harbour and ‘honey-pot’ village
- Tour the Mizen, Sheep’s Head and Beara Peninsulas. Walk the Sheeps Head and Beara Ways. Walk and cycle the Mizen hills and byroads.
- In Goleen, Schull and Ballydehob, Skibbereen, Durrus and Bantry there are many interesting individual shops – very few chains come this far west.
- Shop at The Spinning Wheel in Glengarriff and Quill’s in Glengarriff and Kenmare and John Field’s Supermarket, in Skibbereen.
Local Leisure Activities and thing to do in West Cork:
(Some of these activities are seasonal.)
- Archery West Cork Archery 086 0890879
- Atlantic Sea Kayaking 028 21058 www.atlanticseakayaking.com
- Bird watching Birding Ireland with Mike Cobley, Bantry. 027 53809 086 8736436 email@example.com
- Dunbeacon Equestrian centre 027 61532
- Oska Factory Outlet Toormore 028 35449
- Rossbrin Boatyard 028 37352
- Bantry House & Gardens 027 50047 www.bantryhouse.com
- Beachcombing Walk the many beaches and collect driftwood, flotsam and jetsam.
- Boat Hire Schull Watersports, The Pier, Schull 028 28554
- Carraig Abhainn Gardens, Durrus 027 61070
- Children’s Playgrounds Mizen Head Signal Station, Ballydehob, Schull
- Cinema Bantry Cinemax 027 55777 www.cinemaxbantry.com
- Country Market Schull Sundays from Easter 10am – 2pm
- Cycling West Cork Bike Hire firstname.lastname@example.org Schull 028 27700 0863088215 www.westcorkbikehire.com
- Diving Divecology, Schull 028 28943 086 8372065 www.divecology.com
- Dunbeacon Pottery 027 61036
- Ferry Schull to Cape Clear and Fastnet Karycraft 028 28278
- Fishing on beach, pier and rocks Ask for directions
- Fitbones Family Activities & Children’s Adventure courses 086 2404709 www.fitbones.ie
- Glebe Gardens, Baltimore
- Golf Glengarriff Golf Club 027 -63150 Bantry Golf Club 027-50579 Skibbereen Golf Club 028-21227
- Horse riding Schull Equestrian Centre 028 28346 087 4163563 email@example.com
- Kayaking SKS 02828554 086 1717700 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kilravock Gardens, Durrus www.westcorkgardentrail.com
- Mizen Head Signal Station 028 35225/35115 www.mizenhead.ie
- Pedal Boats Ballydehob (mid July – Aug) 087 6812347
- Planetarium Schull Community College 028 28552
- Powerboating Kevin Murray 0872629778
- Quad Biking West Cork Quad Adventure, Skibbereen 086 2536664
- Sailing Fastnet Marine & Outdoor Centre 028 28515 www.schullsailing.ie
- Schull Harbour Sailing Club www.shsc.ie
- Schull Youth Café Main Street 028 28600
- Sheep’s Head Way marked walking and cycling ways
- Shopping Goleen, Schull, Ballydehob, Skibbereen, Bantry, Glengarriff
- Sight seeing – Bronze Age sites, ancient castles, Napoleonic towers
- Skibbereen Heritage Centre 028 40900 www.skibbheritage.com
- Swimming Barleycove Blue Flag beach, Ballyrisode Green Flag beach, Galley Cove Green Flag beach, Cockle Strand
- Swimming Pool Westlodge Hotel, Bantry 027 50560
- Table Tennis Goleen Sports Hall 028 35371
- Walking & Hiking – beach, hill. Ask for routes
- Whale watching from Reen Pier between Skibbereen & Clonakilty & Wildlife Film School www.thewildlifefilmschool.com Nic@whale.ie www.whalewatchwestcork.com 028 33357 0861200027.